LinuxLiNuXLINUX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LinuxLiNuXLINUX

Everything you would like to know about LINUX and *nix enviroments can be found here.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
To all Members old and new...... After 5 years of being at a stand still, I am happy to announce that this forum will be back up and running at full force with in the next month. I have to get a hold of Triad, but once I do, we should be going as normal again. Bare with us on this transition, there is a lot of information that we will need to change/update as to the change in the systems since we last did this site. You will notice a LOT of changes on this site in the near future, stay tuned for all the exciting changes that will be done!! {Saturn}

How to Install Linux and Windows

Go down 
AuthorMessage
{Saturn}
Admin
{Saturn}

Male Number of posts : 56
Job/hobbies : Audio/Video Tech -and- Computer Tech
Registration date : 2008-11-17

How to Install Linux and Windows Empty
PostSubject: How to Install Linux and Windows   How to Install Linux and Windows Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 12:59 am

How-To Install Windows (NT, 2000, XP) and Linux by using the Windows Boot Loader
This is a very brief howto. It only covers the steps required to create a Linux boot image that can be placed on a
Windows partition and used to boot Linux from the Windows boot loader.

Install W2K first and then install Linux.

When installing Linux do not put the Linux boot records in the Master Boot Record (MBR),
put them in the first sectors on the main partition.
If you already have W2K and Linux loaded boot to Linux by using a floppy disk.
If you need to install Linux make sure that you create a boot disk.
We will use the W2K boot loader for this installation.

Use a floppy disk and log into Linux.
Once in Linux you need to create a file that contains the Linux boot records.
You can do that with

dd if=/dev/hda# of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

hda# is the partition number where you installed Linux (boot records). (Change the # to match your partition/setup.)

bootsect.lnx is the name of the file that is going to be created. It will be copied to / .

Once that's done copy the /bootsect.lnx file to floppy disk.
The easiest way to do this is with mcopy, use this command (you need to have the dos tools installed for mcopy to work)

mcopy /bootsect.lnx a:

If mcopy does not work you will need to mount a floppy disk and then copy the file to it.

Now log out of Linux and log into W2K (with admin rights).
Copy the bootsect.lnx file from the floppy disk to C:
Now you need to edit the C:\boot.ini file. You may have to change the folder options to see this file.
By default under W2K it is hidden.
Under windows explorer goto Tools, Folder Options, click on the View tab, uncheck the \
"Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
You will probably see a message like are you sure you want to do this, blah, blah, blah, click yes.
Now check the boot.ini file properties to make sure that it is not read-only.
Open the boot.ini file in notepad which looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

add this entry to the bottom
c:\bootsect.lnx="Red Hat 7"

The ="Red Hat 7" can be any label that you want. This is what will be displayed when the W2K boot loader starts. So your boot.ini file should look like this;

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
c:\bootsect.lnx="Red Hat 7"

Save the boot.ini file, close everything and reboot the computer.
When the computer starts you should see something like this.

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Red Hat 7

Test both OS'es to make sure that the W2K boot loader is working correctly.

That's it.

-- I personally REFUSE to dual boot with windows, but I know a LOT of people that still have the want/need to do it. That is the ONLY reason I put this information on here --
Back to top Go down
https://linuxlinuxlinux.forumotion.com

How to Install Linux and Windows
Page 1 of 1